Matt Backes' Blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Story

When I was at my best, I wasn't there because I was the best, I was there because I was the happiest I'd ever been. Football was awesome, fall was in full swing, my jobs were so fun to work at, and being a senior was an amazing experience. All of these factors contributed to me being at my best, which to me, means being the happiest and having a feeling of fulfillment.
The changing of the leaves during the fall just amazes me. One of my jobs was to ref a youth soccer league. Their games were on Saturday mornings, so I was always sore and tired from football the night before. But that only made it better. Getting to watch kids run around and have fun is actually a really exhilarating thing to watch. Couple that with the fact that they played right next to the football field, and I admit I found myself reliving the previous night's game more than paying attention to rules, and that it was set against a hillside that has some of the most spectacular fall images, it was awesome.
Senior year was also in full swing. Some people say senior year was just a year they dreamed of leaving school, but that's not how I looked at it. I relished the fact that people looked up to me. I made tons of friends with the underclassmen and it was just a really fun year. I saw myself develop as a leader athletically, academically, and musically, and I loved it. Leading people that you have a respect for, and they return it, is really worth it.
Football was the time of my life and I love the sport. If you haven't played football, you don't really know what I'm talking when I say there is just a different chemistry and team camaraderie than other things. My senior year we weren't the best team,  but we were still pretty good. We didn't win as many games as we would have liked, but looking back, losing gave me a perspective that winning wouldn't have. Even after losses, we were able to still be as close a team as you can imagine, and that's what I took away from football.
You can win all the time and it's just great, but the truth is, almost nobody can win at everything. We all have times where we fall flat and just fail, but it's about getting back up, remaining who you are, and trying to get better. These things are what I can transfer to my college, and ultimately, real-world life.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is really cool how you view losing and winning. Most people would have found something to blame as to why they didnt win or whose fault it was for the team losing. I think it's awesome how you can leave with the thought that you became closer with your team and how you learned something through it all. I have younger siblings so i know what you mean when you talk about watching the soccer games. I used to love going to watch because it is amusing to see how they all react to the game and to hear them laughing and having a blast even if they lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you made a lot of underclassmen friends my senior year of high school. It was so cool to go back to my high school last May and see them all in their caps and gowns. Its also really great that your football team could see that winning wasn't everything as long as they gave it their all and had fun doing it.

    ReplyDelete