Matt Backes' Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Bucket List

     During high school, I was never much of a goal-oriented person. Usually my goals were to make it through the school day with the least amount of brain power used, or something along that line. I was never worried about the future, because the thought of graduation seemed too surreal, almost as if I'd be in high school forever because I had never put any thought past it. But then after I graduated, my whole way of thinking totally changed.
     I suppose I had thought about my future enough to know that I wanted to attend Iowa State and be an electrical engineer, but never any specific goals for either of them, such as GPA, an internship, or where I would like to work after. But since arriving here, I've put a substantial amount of thought into it so far.    
     While here at ISU, I have some academic and other goals I would like to achieve. GPA-wise, I am shooting for a 4.0, but realistically, anything above a 3.75 I can live with. I want to study abroad twice to two different countries, but which countries I couldn't tell you because I don't even know yet. I want to land an internship for the summer after my freshmen year and then either go back to that company for subsequent summers, or try out a longer internship with another company in my later years. Those were my academic goals, but I have more than that. I want to cheer front row for at least one football and basketball game each year. I have already gone campaniling so I have that checked off already :) And the last thing I can think of would be to do the Beardshear challenge, so I definitely have some interesting things to check off during my time here at Iowa State.
     Beyond ISU, my goal is to get a master's degree(maybe from here) and potentially a doctoral degree(I have a lot of time to rethink this, so don't judge) from an Ivy League school or MIT. The odds of this happening are probably slim, but I'm going to try to do everything to set myself up for success, and if it doesn't happen, then it's just not meant to be.
     Ok, so that takes care of all my academic goals, thank god, and now I am talking about goals for the rest of my life. My goal is to have a (very) well paying job to support my family and my adventures. I want to travel to the UK and ride on a double-decker bus. I want to go to Australia and watching kangaroos bounce around. I want to go to New Zealand and see where the filmed Lord of the Rings. I want to visit Switzerland and have some authentic swiss chocolate after skiing on their picturesque slopes. I want to hike in Alaska. I want to visit as many college football stadiums and experience the atmospheres. I want to go to a Super Bowl, the World Cup, and watching Olympic Track and Field.
     This is my bucket list, and although it is pretty long, I intend to have a long and fulfilling life to match it. I realize I may not be able to do some, or maybe many, of these wishes, but honestly, life isn't about those chosen few little trips. Sure, they make life more interesting and you have something to look forward to, but enjoying the little moments, like having fun with coworkers, or coming home to your loving family, or playing with a pet, is what makes all the difference in life.

3 comments:

  1. Matthew, I really like how you aim high. You have a lot of big aspirations for yourself. I hope you follow through with most of them and enjoy them to the fullest. They all sound like they would be really cool to experience. I really liked how you added that you especially enjoy the little moments, as well. I'm sure you'll have a very happy, fulfilling life ahead of you.

    P.S. I'm so jealous you already got campeniling out of the way! You lucky guy! Good luck with the rest of your escapades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By reading your goals the first thing I can tell is that you really like and want to travel. Also by reading your goals I ended up copying you and adding the goal of going to a Super Bowl game to my list. It's great to see that you are already crossing goals off your list like campeniling. Good luck with the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha already accomplishing goals, good job! Your goal of studying abroad twice is a great idea. Being able to do summer trips or alternative spring and winter breaks will really help with that. You may even get to go more than that! Thinking Ivy league is quite ambitious, but with all the work and abroad experience you plan on having during your undergrad I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete