Matt Backes' Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Social Media

For this blog's topic, we were to do a week of social media postings. We had the options to choose Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and a few other things, but I figured the majority of people would use Facebook and Twitter since most students, most likely all, utilize one of these social media sites. I wasn't necessarily excited about this project because I didn't see much benefit to it, I mean, what good comes from randomly tweeting about your class? But I didn't have all negative feelings towards it.
I chose to do the Twitter assignment because I already had an account and I felt like I might gain more expertise of the media from this assignment. I knew how to tweet and 'hashtag' things so I didn't learn much from that perspective. I guess what I got out of it was the realization that Twitter can be used in a very professional manner, and to the benefit of that manner, I might add. We are able to get in contact with companies, and in some cases, even top executives in those companies! But all of this relies more on the person to reach out and try to gain attention. But if one really put their mind to it, they could open up a whole new real of possibilities and get ahead of the competition by utilizing the social media aspect, but only if it were used as a supplicant to real face to face interaction, because that is what really matters.
From the articles we read I was surprised by how many older people use Twitter. It feels much more professional than Facebook, plus it is much easier to find people and follow them. The articles said just following someone can make a difference, and it can. If you can stay up to date on a company you are interested in, utilizing that information in an interviewing based session will definitely impress the recruiter. So always do your homework, kids!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said at the begining. I really didn't see much to benefit from this exercise either, that is until I realized what could actually come from it. I also agree that Twitter is probably more professional that Facebook because it is easier to find people on Twitter and follow them.

    ReplyDelete